How to Jump Start a Car
When your vehicle won’t start, you’ll need to jump start your car battery. To learn the proper way to jump start a car, follow these simple tips from the Sam Leman Mazda service center. If your battery is old or your car won’t jump start, it’s time to have your battery replaced. While here, be sure to browse our Mazda Miata parts and accessories and more to further enhance your drive.
How to Properly Jump Start a Car
To jump start your car, you’ll need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle to hook them up to. You could also contact a jump start car service. But if you prefer to do it yourself, follow these steps:
- Have the second car with the good battery park facing your vehicle. Make sure the vehicle is turned off, and both vehicles should have their parking brakes on.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. Identify the positive and negative terminals, making sure they’re free of dirt and/or corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive terminal on your vehicle’s battery. Attach the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative terminal in the other car, then connect the final clamp to an unpainted metal surface of your car’s frame.
- Once the clamps are all properly attached, start the engine of the second car first, then start your car.
- Keep your vehicle running for a while after you’ve jumped the battery to allow the battery to recharge after it’s been drained.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t start, even after you’ve jumped the battery, you might need to replace the battery, or it could be a sign of another issue.
- If you you hear a click sound when you try to start your vehicle, the starter might be malfunctioning.
- If the engine won’t turn over but the electrical systems turn on, it could be an issue with the battery, ignition switch, fuse, or starter.
If you experience these or other issues with your used Mazda3 or Mazda CX-5, it’s time to schedule a service appointment with your local Bloomington service center. Let the specially trained service technicians diagnose the problem, so you get your vehicle back in proper working order. Also, be sure to browse our Mazda6 accessories and more to further enhance your commute. Contact us with any questions about our services, Mazda SUVs, to learn about the Mazda6 configurations, find out what happens if you don’t change your oil, find scenic drives in Illinois, or to compare our models like the Mazda CX-3 vs. CX-5.
More From Sam Leman Mazda
The new Mazda CX-5 not only delivers powerful performance with a robust towing capacity, but it also offers a spacious and comfortable interior that comes loaded with convenient amenities that will enhance any drive around Normal. From the entry-level Mazda CX-5 Sport to the Mazda CX-5 Signature interior, you will find that this capable SUV…
The 2021 Mazda CX-30 may be a subcompact crossover SUV, but it delivers big on style. In addition to its bold profile, eye-catching design, and comfortable interior, there are a variety of exciting Mazda CX-30 colors to help you customize the look, both outside and inside, to suit your personality. Learn all about the available…
The new MAZDA6 is offered in six unique configurations, each offering dynamic performance, convenient features, and the latest technology to enhance your Springfield-area driving experience. So, which of the MAZDA6 trim levels is the best fit with your needs? Find out in this 2021 MAZDA6 configurations guide from Sam Leman Mazda, and then contact us to…